Friday's Feature and Follow: Different Genres

This Feature & Follow is hosted by two hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee’s View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs.

How does this work? First you leave your name here on this post, (using the linky tools — keep scrolling!) then you create a post on your own blog that links back to this post (easiest way is to just grab the code under the #FF picture and put it in your post) and then you visit as many blogs as you can and tell them “hi” in their comments (on the post that has the #FF image). You follow them, they follow you. It's a great way to see what other book bloggers are reading now, and how they feel about the weekly question.

The Hosts and Featured Bloggers are listed below. If you comment on this question below, let me know you followed, I'll follow you back!

Q: Jumping Genres: Ever pick up a book from a genre you usually don’t like and LOVE it? Tell us about it and why you picked it up in the first place.

A: Okay, I know I'm going to break some people's hearts, but I have not liked YA fiction. For a long time, and even when I was considered 'young adult'. Typical high school dramas dealing with family and heartbreak just doesn't do anything for me, even when I was younger. I like mysteries and love political and crime thrillers. I like to be transported into a different world from the one I'm in, and which is why I love historial fiction. Then I start a book blog and was introduced to paranormal fiction where the boundries are blurred from modern fiction to something from literally another world. Suddenly, YA fiction isn't so kiddish and so much more edgy. I've read recommendations from other book bloggers and tested the waters with their choices. What I found was I never really knew what I was missing in the paranormal realm. My latest read (I haven't reviewed it yet, just read it) is YA Fiction: Moonflower. It is about a 16 year old crossing into another world seemingly similar to old England. There's a love triangle, there's shapeshifting royal wolves, and yes, a 16 year old girl who ultimately finds herself and what she wants. I loved it, and I found a new appreciation to a genre I typically avoided. Well, I still have to warm up to contemporary YA Fiction, but I wish paranormal YA fiction books were being written awhile ago. :)

What about you?



Comments

  1. I wasn't into YA for a long time. But once I started blogging, a huge magority of book bloggers were YA readers, so they turned me. lol

    New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YA is why I decided to start blogging! Finally, a genre where I could live happily! :-) Glad you joined us!

    New follower via GFC.

    Hope you can stop by my new blog, Ensconced in YA!
    http://cahreviews.blogspot.com/2012/07/feature-and-follow-friday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always enjoyed YA. Will have to check out Moonflower.

    New follower!

    Happy Reading!
    Austine @ The Red Reader ==> Read my #FF

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand where you're coming from. Though YA stands for young ADULT, I always figured the themes YA came out with were a bit immature & just good for fun/light reads. But I tried branching out to it a while back and some of the plots are crazy good and even mature. So now I read everything and anything, lol.

    I'm a new follower. You can find my FF here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya! I'm a total YA junkie, so I may be a little bias, but there are some really great YA books on the market these days!
    Thanks for the follow, right back at ya!
    And thanks for stopping by My FF!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower!!

    I completely agree with you! Although I do LOVE me my YA, some books are immature and make me wonder "how in the world is this not in the children's section?"

    Anyways, here's my blog: TheLittleBluePig

    Angela

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for you input!